"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

rules.

Life is full of rules.  Some written, some silently understood and followed.  Some are specifically Christian moral rules/values, while some are merely cultural.

It seems my life has been a rotating list of them.  Dos and Don'ts that rival the precision of those in Leviticus.

The past year I have had freedom from the rules that I was under at my parent's house, the rules I agreed to for my summers on staff at camp, still more rules for my internship, and the real killer - those I signed myself away to follow during undergrad.

No watching movies on campus.
No dancing.
No drinking.
No burning candles.  Not even on candle warmers.
No comedy clubs.
No
NO
NO!

All of these prohibited me from doing something that would otherwise be perfectly acceptable by society and by God's law, too.

Yes, rules are there for a reason.  Yes, most of the reasons for these prohibitions were logical and understandable.  But, let me tell you, it feels good to light a candle, pop in a movie, and drink a glass of wine!  This past year I have enjoyed these freedoms quite frequently.

Starting in March, however, I will be back under stricter guidelines as a means to learn more and interact better with the teens.  All good reasons, don't get me wrong, but rules nonetheless.  I suppose life will always give us lists of dos and don'ts, won't it?
 Lord, help us to submit to these earthly authorities as we do to yours.

No comments: