"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

i miss.... a lot of things.

on saturday afternoon we were supposed to have a program for children at the park. the week had been so rainy so we prayed and prayed that we would have sun for the program. all day saturday was beautiful and sunny! and then a half hour before we were supposed to start, it poured. for a long time.

so we went out for pizza and gelato instead. they don't eat dinner here until about 8 or 9 at night, which is a lot later than at home. so we were all pretty hungry. good thing, because the pizza was great.

on sunday afternoon, ed and irene left to travel italy for a week before going back home to colorado. it was weird not seeing them on monday, and to be honest, that's when i started feeling lonely. i knew it would hit at some point, but i didn't think it would be this soon. i miss familiar faces. i miss conversations with references to a past that we both experienced. i miss even the simple things like actually being able to communicate with the cashier at the fresh produce store around the corner.

i know i went through this same thing on a smaller scale when i worked at camp the first summer, when i moved to iowa, and when i moved to chicago. but somehow this time is different. and harder. it must be the distance.

my mom sent me this psalm today to encourage me:

I lift up my eyes to the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you
the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm
he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

it's true of the Lord no matter where i am. He never changes, never wavers, and never leaves. Lord, help me to remember that and to cling to it.

on a lighter note... josh comes today. he's the guy from minnesota who is coming to work here until the beginning of december. his flight was supposed to get in early this afternoon, but he hasn't called yet and it's almost 8pm. hm...

on an even lighter note, cristiana and i found oatmeal at the grocery store today! they don't usually sell it here in italy, so it was an exciting find :)

that's all for now.
i'm going to enjoy my homemade hummos with crackers for dinner!
-e

1 comment:

«Pe†er» said...

I was what I would call homesick for the first time when I was in Zambia this summer. It wasn't that anything was bad, it was just all different. Try to get the fullest experience you can!

I also just realized that when I renamed my blog a few days ago I inadvertently changed it to something eerily close to yours, hmmm, maybe I'll have to come up with something else.