"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

until then.

Today I turn 24. While I realize that a year is a short time, so much has happened - so much growth, so much change.  Here is a short list:

- I moved into an apartment building with Andrea and Tiffany for the first time.  An on-campus apartment, but an apartment nonetheless.
- Discovered a love for peppers, zucchini, and squash.
- I graduated from Moody.
- Kristen, my little sister, was finally diagnosed and is doing soo much better now that we know what is wrong. (Huge praise!!)
- Finished my program at Moody in December.  Walked in the ceremony in May.
- Started nannying for a fantastic Christian family while still at Moody.
- Vacationed in Mexico with said family.  And got paid to do it. :)
- Signed my first real apartment lease with the infamous Bethany Grubb, a cute little place in Logan Square.
- Moved into this apartment and finally felt settled for the first time in a long time.
- Started working toward my Masters of Education at North Park University.
- Learned the huge difference between a nanny and a babysitter.
- I slacklined for the first time.
- Grandpa Forsman had a stroke, lost movement in his left side, is now in a wheelchair and lives in a nursing home with Grandma who is in the Alzheimer's unit.  (Unfortunately, not everything on this list has to/can be happy..)
- I bought my first car - a charcoal gray 2010 Mazda 3.  My first big purchase!
- My "first big purchase!" was broken into, ipod stolen, and I had to deal with a very nice insurance company for the first time (go Geico!).
- Visited Julia and Sarah in Omaha, and Audrey, Cathy, and Julie in Sioux Falls.
- Went to Summerfest for the first time to see Tokyo Police Club!
- Tried steamed broccoli and loved it (finally!).
- Made all kinds of new friends and started hanging out more with some old ones.

And while those are all outward things, there is much more that has changed inwardly.  Honestly, I just don't want to take the time to go into detail (mostly because it takes a lot more thought), but I have grown so much - grown up, you could say.


Over the past couple of months I have also come to the conclusion that it's okay to "just" want to be a mom and a homemaker.  I always scoffed when I heard other girls say that, but really... It's a real calling and I believe it to be a part of mine.  Sigh.  Someday.  For the time being, I will pursue my Masters.  I will dream of what could come of it, the kids that I will be able to influence, the dreams I may be able to foster in the souls of youth.  And someday, maybe someday, I will be able to instill those dreams and that hope in Christ in the lives of my own children. :)

Until then, I will wait, grow, and pursue life in abundance.
I came that they may have Life, and have it abundantly.
- John 10:10b

No comments: