"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Thursday, October 21, 2010

"nothing in my hands i bring"

"This is the will of God, even your sanctification." - 1 Thessalonians 4:3

Yesterday's reading in My Utmost for His Highest shed light on this verse; and this verse shed light on some of my thoughts as of late.  Here's an excerpt from Chambers' devotional (October 20th):
It is not a question of whether God is willing to sanctify me; is it my will?... Beware of saying --Oh, I am longing to be sanctified.  You are not, stop longing and make it a matter of transaction --"Nothing in my hands I bring"... 
Never put the effect as the cause.  The effect in me is obedience and service and prayer, and is the outcome of speechless thanks and adoration for the marvellous sanctification wrought out in me because of the Atonement.
Let us stop wishing to be sanctified, and come before the Lord as we are:  broken, empty, and helpless.

Let us live in that speechless thanks and adoration to the Lord for taking us in our brokenness and making us whole.  For taking us in our emptiness and filling us up.  For taking us in my helplessness and picking us up.  Let this penetrate and direct our thoughts, decisions, and attitudes.

We have so much to be thankful for.

No comments: