"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Thursday, February 3, 2011

blizzard.

This blizzard has brought people together.

My drive home from downtown at the onset of a blizzard on Tuesday took an hour and a half.  Normally 20 minutes, the drive should have been awful.  Instead, it was relaxing.  People drove slowly, left gaps for people to merge in, didn't try to race through yellow lights.  I didn't hear a single honk the entire time - a rarity.  Drivers were actually considerate, slow, and calm, despite the crazy long time it took for anyone to get anywhere.

Yesterday morning, I bundled up and trekked through the snow to shovel out my car.  Not because I needed to use it (the roads at that point were impassable anyway), but because it needed to be done at some point.  There were dozens of people outside!  People walking their dogs; neighbors holding their shovels, standing in groups talking; others digging out vehicles; even a man snowblowing a walking path across an intersection - a necessity for public transit commuters!  There really is community in this neighborhood, even if it's invisible in the winter.

As for this apartment, well, it's in boxes.  Everything is packed save my clothes, and it feels great!  This move will be a good one, I'm sure of it. :)

No comments: