"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

something new.

I have asthma.
I have a bad knee.
I have legit excuses.

But those excuses have kept me from doing what I've always wanted to do: run.
Goodbye excuses.

This week I am both using my inhaler and strengthening the muscles that I do have in my knee by running.  The road that makes a circle on property is about a quarter mile.  We call it the loop.  So last night I put on my running shoes, take my inhaler, grab my headphones and I'm out the door.  After running one full loop (yay!), I decide to walk a half lap to give my legs and my lungs a break.  Then I walked, then I ran, then I walked, and then I walked.  A grand total of... ONE MILE!
Maybe someday I will have legs like these.
Ones with real muscles in them.
I'm a weakling.
Seriously.

One small step for man, one giant leap for Erin.

After I accomplished my goal for day number one of Project: Runner, I laid in the grass and looked at stars.  Stars that I couldn't see in Chicago.  That I've missed seeing for so long.  Such beauty.

But when I stood up - well, my lungs decided not to work anymore.  So I coughed.  and coughed. and coughed.  Until morning.  I took a look at my inhaler and saw that it had expired last fall.  That means I haven't done any aerobic exercise since fall otherwise I would have used it and noticed that it was expired.  Sad.  Thankfully, I had a new one, which cured the coughing and gave me hope for my Wednesday and Friday runs - they ARE possible!

I've always, always, wanted to do this.  My excuses were always convenient, but I won't let them be anymore.

So tonight I'm on night coverage in one of the wings.  Checking the rooms every 10-15 minutes to make sure girls are in bed, leaves me with plenty of time in between.  Usually I journal or read or do the weekly paperwork.

Tonight, however, I did something that will leave the person who checks cameras laughing.  This girl has a fun job, watching all the footage to make sure nothing sketch happened, and giving consequences if it did happen.  Me, though?  Well, I decided to do pilates in the hallway.  I know that it looks a little funny no matter who does it, but if, like me, you're pretty uncoordinated and pretty unbalanced... well, it makes for quite the show.  Enjoy it, Kamilah :)

*******
Praise report:
One of the Littles became a Christian!!  A seemingly unlikely conversion, it was all the more wonderful as a result.  I nearly tackled her when I found out.  And then we cried together and prayed.  It was beautiful.

God is so faithful.  He works in the little things, even if we don't see it.  God knows what's going on and uses our prayers, our little words of encouragement, our time, our dedication, and our love towards others to bring them to Himself.  All is for the glory of God, right?  Sure is!  Boy oh boy, it has been a God-filled week so far.  I love it and can't wait to see other ways in which God is moving behind the scenes.

(Thanks to the recommendation of a friend...)
Isaiah 43:19 says,
"I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."

2 comments:

Lacy Lillian said...

Oh, the joy this brought to my heart is insurmountable.

Beth said...

Way to go!! You can totally do it. Running is great. :) And what a praise. Praying for you, friend. -Beth