"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Thursday, August 30, 2012

joy moments.

As I recently worked my way through the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, my mentality began to shift.  She talked about enjoying moments.

Over the course of a year, she made a list of one thousand things that she experienced that she saw as blessings, as gifts, as graces from the Lord.  She writes about how seeing those "grace moments" brought her to a place of thanksgiving - of remembrance of all the things God does, the things he brings us through and all of the little things he gives to us to bring us joy, if only we notice them.

I, too, have begun a list.  It is far from complete, but it has changed me.

This week has been full of those grace moments.  A trip to Kansas City brought many of them, as I was able to see so many people who I dearly love.  The face of a girl who experiences freedom for the first time.  The arm of a girl once covered with scabs, now healed.  A childlike excitement where there used to be apathy.  The face of a baby, looking so much like the parents and so full of innocence.  Returning to a place where I had grown roots, sitting in remembrance of the time spent.  Coming back to Saint Louis and going to Trader Joe's, my favorite, where I haven't visited in months.  Buying the dried mango I so enjoy.  Drinking a latte with someone who had never drank a proper one before.  Engaging conversation, discovery.  Live music that wouldn't be right if it wasn't a little off-pitch.

These things exist in our everyday, too.  In the mundane we can see them if we are thankful to God for the small moments that pique our attention, draw our eyes and our ears.  Let us pray that our eyes will be sensitive to these things, so we can forever be in a mindset of thankfulness for the joy moments.

No comments: