"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Monday, October 20, 2008

dizzy. kids. food. uncle.

a lot has happened this week since i last updated.

wednesday morning i woke up and was too dizzy to even stand up. so i didn't go to the office. thursday they told me to stay at the base again and take it easy so that i didn't get sick again. laying in bed is not one of my favorite things.

so friday and saturday were full of scrambling to put together the program for the park, which went very very well. it was cloudy and a little chilly so there were less kids, but it was still a good time.
afterwards, we went out for pizza. good pizza. i think all pizza here is good though. i also had this little breaded/fried thing that had a zucchini flower in it.. it was good.

sunday morning was church, which was pretty good... and THEN we went to cristiana's parents' house where we had an incredible meal. seriously, it was authentic italian food and soo good! appetizer was tomatoes with basil leaves on bread. next was (i forgot the name of it..) a type of lasagna that's made with pasta that is already cooked. the pasta was like fettucini, but wider and shorter. it was wonderful but the portions were huge.
that was followed by some cooked greens, an eggplant/garlic dish, and sausage cooked over the fire.
watermelon for dessert.

i sat next to cristiana's father who told me all about an old general in the army, how to make a kind of scrambled eggs, and told me that i had a lot of siblings. most of this took a long time for me to understand, but still it was great. that man is so loving, so joyful, so full of the Lord, it's incredible. he started telling a funny story and put his arm around me, and every time he laughed, he would pull me close to share his joy. i had no idea what he was talking about, but it made me feel loved.

today. my mom told me that my uncle john is in ICU at a hospital in georgia, where he lives. he's had a degenerative heart disease for a while now, but i didn't realize it was progressing this quickly. basically, he's on a ventilator/respirator right now, but the part of his heart that is causing the problem is inoperable. the outcome doesn't look good.
please pray for a miracle.

i also got a ticket today. on the bus. because i didn't punch my ticket as i got on because my hands were full of groceries. go figure that the one time i don't punch my ticket, there's a guy checking tickets. argh.

it hasn't been a good day.
and i want to go home.
not just because of today, though. because of a lot of things.
i need more encouragement from the Lord.

1 comment:

Erin said...

note to self: that baked pasta is called "pasta del forno" (pasta of the oven)