"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Friday, October 2, 2009

"i'm going to go quit my job."

a strange thing happened today.
i was nannying, and the dad happened to be around this morning to take one of the girls to a tennis lesson. after lunch, as he walks out the door wearing sweatpants, t-shirt, trenchcoat, and carrying a briefcase, he says this simple sentence: "i'm going to go quit my job." and he was serious.

it shocked me a bit at first that he would say it so nonchalantly. so i asked if he was really serious and why. a short talk later and he was out the door. stacy explained it a bit later when she arrived home, but the amount of faith this family has astounds me. in a job market like this, to just quit a job? he says he might just be a barista for a while :) (he did make me a fabulous cappuccino this morning...)

as i look at the next two and a half months, i see change, and lots of it. i'll be graduating, moving out of moody housing, never to be a traditional student again. it actually makes my stomach turn to think about it. but i'm at least a little more certain the direction that i'm going, though i'm not entirely positive where i'll be as of mid-december.

clive told me yesterday that i'm like a mule. i'll work hard doing the work that most other people don't want to do. i'm still not exactly sure how to take this or how to apply to my future career (the topic of our whole conversation). it'll come with time, i'm sure.

all that to say.. i wish i was more like the creswells and was completely calm about the future even though things are entirely uncertain. it just.. scares me.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

i love you! and i feel the same about the future...so much uncertain. hmm.