"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"what is your dream?"

i always ride the train and then a bus to get home after work (to get anywhere, in fact).  this day, a few weeks ago, was no exception.  i was keeping to myself on the bus with my purse and grocery bag on my lap, when a boy came and sat next to me.  he asks me "what's your name?" and then skips the small talk to ask me, "what is your dream?"
i was taken aback by the depth of this 11-year-old's question.  without knowing it, he had hit a spot deep within me that hadn't been probed in quite some time, a part of my heart that i nearly forgot was there.  why am i in the city?  was i an urban ministries major simply to get finished with my undergrad?  no, certainly there was more reason behind it than that, i just needed a small boy's reminder to redirect my mind.

thank you friendly future nascar driver.  you unknowingly inspired me.

i'm happy in a way that i haven't been in a long time.  life isn't hurried, it just walks along with me, and i like where it's going.  usually i'm just pushing for the next thing, living today so that i can get to tomorrow.  but now each day is its own.

1 comment:

«Pe†er» said...

Okay, I think that's cool.

-the end.