"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Sunday, August 22, 2010

coffee with dad.

Yesterday morning was the kind that happens slowly.  Waking up before my alarm, I meandered downstairs to find my dad.  These mornings are so special - it's when the emotional side of my dad comes out.  I cherish these moments because they don't happen often.  We talked of life and church, family and death, all the while sipping our coffee.

Today is the one-year anniversary of my uncle's death.  The uncle that was my dad's closest brother and friend for their entire lives... gone.  I tear up just imagining what it could possibly feel like for his family.

Sometimes things are just hard, and there's not much we can do.  On the classic Leave it to Beaver, Beaver once said, "Sometimes things are just so messed up that all there is left to do is cry."  Sometimes that's all we can do - just remember, cry, and move on, knowing that we will continue to go back to those memories, treasure them, and repeat the cycle.

No comments: