"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Monday, August 16, 2010

home.

Is home the place to which you return at night?  Is it a building, an apartment?  Is it where your family is?  Is it where you grew up?

Graduating from high school and moving off to college marks the beginning of a long period of transition.  Somehow, that period of transition becomes even more real after college graduation.  In that time, where is home?

Recently, I have started calling my apartment in Chicago "home," while Green Bay is now just where "my parents' house" is.  It has been a bit of a mental switch, but I've been wondering if this switch in terminology is really necessary.  Can this apartment really be home if I know I will only live in it for a short time?

I suppose I see "home" as a place where you are comfortable.  Where you can lounge around, have guests, and make it your own.  Home is a reflection of who you are.  The way it is decorated, the way it smells, the neighborhood it's in - it all comes together to help define you and and continue to shape you.

What is home to you?

1 comment:

«Pe†er» said...

I started the switch when I started grad school. When I was in college I always went home to GB for part of the summer and for a good chunk of January, so I didn't think of my residence in college as home. But when I started grad school and moved all my stuff down and settled in to live there for two years, that was home.