"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

the field museum.

The last time I went to the Field Museum was the summer of 2008.  For my internship with the Center for Student Missions here in Chicago, I spent six hours every day at Jackson Park on the South Side, helping with their Park & Rec Program.  Each week, all 300 kids and 30 leaders would pile on buses to go on a field trip.  Usually the field trips were too chaotic to actually enjoy, but this one, the one to the Field Museum, outdid them all.

Upon arrival at the museum, the group I volunteered with, the 7-8 year-old girls, was already in disaster mode.  These 38 girls ran wild through the group entrance into the cafeteria seating, shouting and fighting.  Their counselors (thankfully as a volunteer, I didn't have to take care of disciplinary issues) finally rounded them up and took them to a small seating area where they had to sit silently for a period of time.  This period of time became very very extended, as their counselors decided to get McDonald's and eat it in front of them.  Then the counselors decided to take all the girls to the bathroom and then sit back down in the seating area.  The entire experience lasted about 2.5 hours.

We left the museum to find where the rest of the kids were so we could eat lunch.  We ate lunch.  We got back on the bus.  And that was their museum experience.

I suppose that makes today's trip seem like a much more valuable experience.  Audrey loved watching the African cooking demonstrations and learned what nocturnal meant.  Victoria squealed when she saw that the "Nature Walk" exhibit included numerous varieties of squirrels.  We had a nice time.

Out of these experiences, I realize how stressful summer 2008 was.  I see how much I value small-group times (rather than hoards of children all at the same time).  And I learned, again, how much I love museums.  I think I'll make it a goal to visit as many museums as I can in Chicago before I leave here.  This is a goal that will enrich my mind and expand my experiences - Is there any better kind?

No comments: