"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Monday, September 6, 2010

moving out, moving on.

I came north to my parents' house again this weekend for several reasons:  My wonderful Aunt Cathy is visiting from Georgia and my little brother, Daniel, turned 18 today! (Happy Birthday!)

When I got to the house yesterday, my little sister was so eager to show me her new room (the bedroom I just moved out of two weeks ago) and how she set it all up.  I, too, was excited for her to have a new space of her own to experiment with and to grow up in.  When I stepped in the door of the bedroom, though, I cracked.

The realization hit that I no longer have a place in this house.  I don't have a bedroom, I don't even have a bookshelf (all of my books ended up being moved into a laundry basket).  The one piece of me left in this house was that bedroom, and now I don't even have that.

As I come into another period of uncertainty and decision-making in my life, I see Green Bay as an entirely viable option in the future.  No matter how much I wanted to leave five years ago, I love it here.  Losing my bedroom was the breaking point - the uncertainty no longer includes the option of moving back into this house where I don't even have my own space anymore.  And I broke down.

On a much lighter note, I went out last night with Sara and Teresa and ran into Timothy and all his roommates.  After a night of fun and laughter, I returned home to spend another entire day today laughing and laughing and laughing with my family.  I don't even know how else to describe it except to show you:

Meet Daniel's new best friend.
This unicycle's name is Chick Magnet...
You'd better watch out!

Somehow I can only upload one picture, so that one will have to suffice.  Just imagine someone learning how to ride a unicycle.  And then finding out 15 years later that he's infertile and he wonders why... oh man.

No comments: