"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Saturday, November 13, 2010

always watching.

As I pulled up next to a police officer today, I did as I usually do:  Tense up a bit, check to make sure that my phone is put away in my purse, stay behind the crosswalk, and be extra cautious.  My driving isn't normally bad, and there would have been no reason for the police officer to pull me over even if I hadn't been nervous and extra cautious of my driving.

Yet, I took this little momentary thing and worried about it.  I changed my actions instantly because I thought I was being watched.  But are we not always being watched?  Why does knowing that a person is watching elicit an improvement in behavior, while knowing that God is watching merely makes me nod my head and say, "yeah, I know"?

Let my focus remain on the One thing that does matter; on the One person for whom our actions have eternal consequence; on the only One who is worthy of our praise, affection and adoration.

No comments: