"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Friday, November 5, 2010

let Him help Himself to us.

Let us be reminded day after day that God certainly is in control.  Through some wise and unwanted, but necessary, words from a friend, I came to realize that there was no mention of God in my last post, which inspired the thoughts behind this one.  While Wednesday night's post is certainly a humorous one with huge exaggerations, it reflects an attitude of despair and of faithlessness.

Oswald Chambers writes:
Is He going to help Himself to us, or are we taken up with our conception of what we are going to be?
"Is He going to help Himself to us"?  Is He?  Will I let Him take all of me and move me where He wants me to be?  Show me who He wants me to be?  Even in those questions, I simply beg for answers about the future.  But who am I now?  How is God using me right here where I already am?  How is He helping me to grow?

I have been so focused on the future that I have not been enjoying the everyday.  Since when did every day become another chance to worry about and dread the future?  What happened to hoping and dreaming?  To radical faith and obedience?

1 comment:

Chris Rensink said...

I think I remember on the sidewalk outside of the chapel at NWC you encouraged me with the words of, "Wherever you are, be all there." I hope you can be encouraged with your words today...