"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Thursday, March 10, 2011

explore.

As I work to understand the Shelterwood system and the philosophy behind their ministry, I have a lot on my mind.  What is the best way to discipline these teens?  What is the most effective way of treating them to affect real change in their lives?

Oo, I have an "official" job title, too!  I am technically Direct Care Staff, which might give a better explanation of what this job entails, if you're familiar with residential treatment facilities.  It just sounds so much better, so much more official, than simply "mentorship staff," doesn't it?

This afternoon I have my first official "day off" (Which really just means noon to midnight.  I'll take what I can get :))  The first thing I did was drive into Kansas City - somehow being in the same buildings for a whole week made me anxious to get out and see other people and new things.  So I explored a little.

Advertised as a "Road Trip for Your Soul," I found the Kauffman Gardens a great place to do just that - to quiet my mind, process the week, and allow God to refresh my soul.
In the summer I'm sure the outdoor gardens are just as beautiful as the indoor one was.  I look forward to coming back here when the flowers are in bloom and the fountains are running. :)

A few more places/things I found as I explored:
I happened upon the Kansas City Sculpture Garden.  Before I knew where I was,
these big birdies (shuttlecocks, if you will) sure did throw me for a loop!

I like this area a lot so far, though I haven't seen too much of it.  One wish:  locally-owned coffeeshops.  There just aren't any outside of downtown, which is too far away to make quick trips.  Sigh.  I will have a proper latte again someday - just not today.

No comments: