"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

though i may break down.

Certain things frustrate me more than others.  One thing on the really frustrating list is when I walk in the door, somebody saying, "Erin, take me downstairs!"  Immediately followed by, "Erin, take me to the weight room!"  Immediately followed by, "Take me to my room!"

Yes, these girls are required to have someone go with them to the weight room, and yes, somebody does have be downstairs for them to come down, and yes, some of the girls can't be in their room by themselves.  But here's the thing:  They don't ask.  They demand it and expect you to comply immediately.  There is a sense of entitlement that runs amok with these girls, and it is pretty much a part of our job description to comply.  It has become a little frustrating - a LOT frustrating, actually.

I just wrote out several more stories about the girls, and then remembered the most important thing - Jesus.  It is not my duty to share all the awful, discouraging things that happen here, no matter how interesting they are.  It is more important to see the need for Jesus in each of the girls.


God often provides little glimpses of encouragement when we need them, doesn't He?  Some of the girls have been so sweet, so wonderful in the midst of the chaos created by the rest of them.  And one of the house directors pulled me aside last night to encourage me, too, and tell me what a good job I've been doing.  Little glimpses of light amidst the darkness.

A friend encouraged me with this quote: "What God has revealed to you in the light, do not forget in the darkness."  And isn't that the truth?  Why does it become so easy to focus on the problem instead of on the One who can come into the problem and redeem it?  To lose sight of the light when everything seems dark...  We are such sad, sinful people.

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." -Psalm 34:8

No comments: