"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Monday, August 8, 2011

nostalgia.

noun
1.  a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time.

This weekend satisfied all the nostalgia I've felt over the last seven months.  It allowed my "wistful desires" to be met.  It returned me to to my "homeland."  It fulfilled my "yearning for the happiness of a former place or time."

Chicago.  This visit was a little confusing.  I went to some of my favorite places.  I took walks to coffeeshops.  I stayed with and saw dear friends.  I drove past my old apartment.  I don't mean to be too Eastern, but it had a sort of centering effect.

I was reminded of all the things I love about the city.  I was also reminded of all the things that brought me to leave.  I was reminded that I currently have no real direction or plan for my life other than to trust God.

While this time in the city was really something wonderful, the remainder of the week will be spent in Green Bay.  I hope to finish a few books, play a lot of card games (family time!), see a few more friends, and just... rest.  A simple goal, really.

To be alive, to enjoy, to be still.

1 comment:

Matt K said...

Im glad we got to spend some time together. It was great seeing you and hearing about what God is doing in your life.

I hope you have a great visit with family and friends back home, too. Oh yeah, eat some cheese curds for me while you're there, too.