"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

confessions.

Last December, I finished the classes that I was in so I was just working full-time.  I didn't have a whole lot on my plate, aside from planning to move, which left me with quite a bit of free time.  I decided that since I had free time, that I would begin to invest in an obviously worthwhile venture: the game of Facebook gaming.  I thought to myself that I might as well explore the world of Facebook games when I actually had the time for it.  The exploring didn't go very far, because I found Cityville and all my siblings played it, which made it seem a bit more enjoyable than it actually is.

While it was fun for the time, my life got a whole lot busier the beginning of March when I moved out to Shelterwood, but that game never went away.  I continued to spend little pockets of time here and there playing this meaningless game, when I didn't even have time to call my family and friends.  When I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the Word.  When I have so many other meaningful things to do.

Last night I was on the overnight shift, and found myself with a short list of people to whom I wanted to write letters.  By the end of the night, the list had only shortened by one, and I had spent the majority of my time on that stupid Facebook time-sucker.  At about 6am, my shift was about over, and I began to consider getting rid of Facebook altogether, but eventually decided to just delete Cityville.

A half an hour ago, it became official.  It is gone.

This narrative isn't for no purpose - it is to say that if something is keeping you from doing important things, it should be eliminated.  If it distracts you from maintaining relationships or, more importantly, from loving and serving the Lord well, it does not need to be a part of your life or mine.  Thus the elimination of Facebook gaming.

It's a little humiliating to admit this, but because I just deleted it, that makes it more bearable.  And, once again, a lesson is learned by a small part of my life being reevaluated.  Funny what God uses to teach and grow us..

No comments: