"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Saturday, April 2, 2011

what.a.week.

My heart aches for these girls.  They just need to know Jesus - to know how much He loves them and cares for them.

As I take a comprehensive look at these kids and this program, there are many ways for kids to fail here.  Sure, part of the process is working on failures and celebrating success, but it is pretty normal for kids to be pulled from the program for having too many of those failures.

When two girls ran away this week, some of the other girls asked if they could write letters explaining why one of them shouldn't be let back in.  They saw what a detrimental effect this particular girl has on the rest of them and they wanted to see change.  I was so proud of them for distinguishing who are negative and positive influences on them.  At the same time, it hurts to see that Shelterwood just doesn't help some of the kids, but for others it is transformational.  Can it not be effective for everyone?  Can it not help each of them to love Jesus?

In an ideal world..  well, I guess there wouldn't be a need for a place like this.  But if there were a need, then a group home like this would help everyone without exception.  Every teen who walks through the doors comes out transformed by the power of the cross and the redemption that comes from loving God.

---
Here I sit at Starbucks the afternoon of my day off.  And what a beautiful day off it is!  72 degrees and sunny with a slight breeze, it is a day of perfect weather.

Three of the boys ran away last weekend.  They weren't found until three days later, but we came to find out that they had smuggled in an iTouch after their spring break, hacked into the secured network, and used Facebook to orchestrate their pick-up.  As a result, Facebook is now blocked on property.

Who would have thought one website being blocked could be such a big deal, but it makes it hard.  I message on Facebook a lot, and I feel so cut off!  I am too attached to these things, aren't I?
--
I spent this afternoon with a cousin, who I have met once in my life, and his wife.  I'm so thankful to have family in the area, especially since I didn't expect it.

We went to the art museum here.  Remember the picture I put up a few weeks ago of the huge shuttlecocks?  Well, those are right outside the museum.

Walking inside, though, is stunning.  The architecture complements the displayed artwork in a way that makes it all even more precious, more beautiful.  I wonder how artists see things.  Do they see colors differently?  How can they recreate what they see using a different medium?  It's not the same as snapping a photo, it's a process of interpretation, reconfiguring what the eye sees using the hands - a process that I admire, but do not understand.
---
In other exciting news:
- A girl punched a wall last week and broke her hand.
- I am officially kitchen trained
- Two girls ran away Thursday night.  One was found right away, and one wasn't found until morning.
- This morning I purchased a plane ticket to Green Bay for Daniel's high school graduation :)
- One girl asked me to take her shopping with some money her parents allowed for church clothes.  Out of all the staff she could have chose, she picked ME!  I was ecstatic.  Until I realized it was for my day off yesterday and I already had plans all afternoon/evening so I couldn't take her.  Either way, her question was a pretty big step.
- That's all.  For now.

I want to do something adventurous.  Like get a tattoo.  Or shoot guns.  Or go spelunking.  Even hiking.  Or rock climbing.  Maybe even ride a motorcycle.  Or get a haircut.  I do need one..
Anything.
Maybe next weekend.

For now I will drink my coffee, reply to some Facebook messages, and then have dinner with some of the other Bigs.
--
I end this extra-long post with the inscription on the outside of the art museum:

"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."
Chew on it.  I will too.  And maybe post on it another time :)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

haha. "shoot a gun." erin. i'd go hiking with you in a heartbeat if i was there!!!

i keep writing you back but then rethinking what i actually want to write. so...the letter is still in process, sorry :) maybe i'll just wrap it up this afternoon!

love you!