"dream great dreams and find the courage to live them"

-erwin mcmanus

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

pomegranate.

This recently popularized fruit has long been a favorite of mine.  Its presence in stores coincides with autumn in full swing towards winter.

I know I'm rich with cheesy analogies, and the pomegranate is a favorite for that reason... it comes with an analogy of which I am reminded whenever I eat one.  Today was no exception.

The bright, sharp knife pierces the peel and I break open the fruit. As expected, the fruit is full of seed casings, arils they are called.


As I see it, there are two ways to eat a pomegranate.  One is to take large pieces of the fruit and bend it a certain way so that all of the arils fall out into a bowl.  This technique allow you to eat more than one at a time.  The second, and my usual method of choice, is to take out and eat the arils one by one.

It's a little bit like life.  You experience it one taste at a time, one moment at a time, one aril at a time.  They take work to get to, but then you are able to savor each one.


I could continue the analogy, but I'll refrain. :)
Your mission this week is to get your own pomegranate, especially if you have never had one before, and try it.  Savor each piece!

No comments: